Monday, July 26, 2010

Now for my soapbox (They have those at dances?)

If revenge is a dish best served cold, then Alzheimer's is a dish best served at a pot-luck.
Yea, I guess that is a little random but there is a point there.  I promise.

When I was introduced to this disease, like many others, I thought it was terrible and sad.  Not only for the patient but for the family as well.  It is.
When I first heard of this disease I thought it was something I might have to deal with some way, some day.  I am.
When I first began this personal dance with Alzheimer's I never thought I would feel as if I am dealing with this alone.  I do.

I have an amazing family and great friends to support me and yet, there are still times when I think they just don't understand or even worse, just don't care.
I know that isn't the reality of it, but it is how I occasionally feel.

Here is the soapbox part to this entry.
If you know a person who is caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's or severe Dementia, call them.  Take a cup of coffee over and go see them.  Better yet, grab a few chocolate bars and go see them. 
There are times when they feel as isolated and hopeless as the patient does. 
This is not a disease you can "deal with" on your own.  You MUST have someone to talk to, to keep you sane, to share with, pray with and to cry with.

Alzheimer's is not a dance you go into alone.  There are the brave and strong few who can and do, but just like your first dance in Jr. High, it is so much easier if you go with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I dance with Shelarose every day...feel free to join us or just sit and listen to the music for a while.