Thursday, July 22, 2010

I should have done this sooner!

So I'm told I should have started this much sooner.  Go figure!  I didn't have time.  I was to busy dancing with Shelarose.
This dance started about five months ago.  The music changes daily but some days the dance seems to go on forever!

I'm Kerie and Shelarose is my mother-in-law. Mom is in the later stages of Alzheimer's disease...or dementia, depending on who you ask.
Due to family "issues" mom is now living with us and I am her primary care provider.
This is not a party I was wishing to be invited to but, here I am.
Most days are "doable" with only a few bruised toes, but other days..........

Do you ever feel like you are the only one hearing a particular tune and everyone else is dancing to another?
I imagine that is how Shelarose feels most days.  I understand that, because I am on the opposite side of the room wondering why she doesn't hear my music.
I too feel very alone and frustrated.  Surely my family will help.  They try but they too have their own dance to dance and most of the time that dance is spinning away from Shelarose and I.

Alzheimer's is an insidious disease!  It robs one of their ability to communicate clearly, remember things held dear. It takes away independence, choice and dignity.  I would not wish this on anyone.

In spite of the hardships there are moments of levity.  I will endeavor to not only tell you of my difficulties, though they be many, but also regale you with the absurdities that dancing with Shelarose brings to my life, and they too are many.

For now I will rest.  My dance partner is tucked safely in her bed.  Tomorrow the music will start early and I will try to be ready.

Let the music begin!

1 comment:

I dance with Shelarose every day...feel free to join us or just sit and listen to the music for a while.